History

Serrano Water District (SWD) was established in 1876 and provides potable water to the City of Villa Park and a small portion of the City of Orange. SWD receives its water supply from local surface water which is stored in Irvine Lake and groundwater from three wells located within the City of Villa Park. SWD sells up to approximately 3,500 acre feet of water annually, to its residential customers.

The District provides water for a population of 6,500 covering approximately 4.7 square miles, serving primarily large lot single family homes and one shopping center. The District's service area is largely built out with an opportunity for a small amount of infill. Although a small district geographically, SWD provides a myriad of services, including managing a large recreation facility. SWD is one of a few water districts in Orange County that owns and operates a water treatment plant. This allows its service area an uninterrupted supply of water even during an emergency at an advantageous cost.

SWD has 43 miles of pipe, 3 wells, a treatment plant, and two reservoirs. The District owns 50% of Irvine Lake. Irvine Ranch Water District owns the other 50% of the facility. SWD also owns 25% of the native water in Irvine Lake and Irvine Ranch Water District owns the remaining 75%. SWD is the managing district for Irvine Lake.

SWD employs 10 full time employees.

Completed Tower, looking upstream
Completed Tower, looking upstream
Left to Right: Howard Walton, Don Smiley, DW Albert, Frank Collins, Mr. Evens, and Ray Carberry
Left to Right: Howard Walton, Don Smiley, DW Albert, Frank Collins, Mr. Evens, and Ray Carberry
Facing Slab, looking West
Facing Slab, looking West
Spillway and Piers, Looking South
Spillway and Piers, Looking South